Thursday, November 28, 2013

In The After, by Demitria Lunetta

(2.5/5 stars)

Amy categorizes everything into either Before or After "They" attacked. "They" being bloodthirsty aliens who will literally stop at nothing to destroy the human race. Super awesome premise for a YA Sci-Fi right? Right! Unfortunately, it wasn't at all what I was expecting, but let me break it all down for you:

What I liked: I freaking loved Amy. She's very Katniss/Tris and does whatever it takes to survive this alien infested world. Like she doesn't even talk in the first part of the book because in order to survive, you can't make noise- any noise will get you killed right away. And she's willing to fight for herself and Baby (the little girl that she stumbled upon and continued to raise throughout the first part of the story) however she has to. I also really liked Part 2 of the story because that's when they end up at New Hope- the compound where the human survivors live. New Hope has a new government system, an interesting education system, and a trippy psychiatric system. It was in this part of the book that I really got to let my Sci-Fi crazed brain run loose. 

What I didn't like: Part 1 was boring, plain and simple. I honestly had a really hard time getting through it, almost to the point where I was ready to stop and call it quits. Also, I felt like the plot was very predictable and annoyingly so. If you have any experience with Sci-Fi (actually, experience within the genre might not even be necessary), you'll see it all coming from a mile away and that really bothered me. It's hard to get into a story that you feel like you've seen a thousand times before. Especially since it really reminded me of 5th Wave by Rich Yancey (which I liked much much better), but more predictable. I don't know, I was just expecting it to be much better than it actually was.

In all, the book was enjoyable if you can get over the predictability of it all. I didn't hate it, not at all, and I liked reading it once I got past the first part, but I don't think I'll be reading the sequel when it comes out. It's unfortunate because I feel like there was a lot of potential and if it would have gone in a different direction, I might have liked it. Oh well, on to the next book.

-Annie

p.s. Happy Thanksgiving, friends. I am so thankful for each and every one of you. Eat lots of food! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment